Aging is an inevitable factor that makes our skin and tissues to lose their elasticity. There are various procedures to minimize the aging effects. One such procedure is ‘facelift’.
A facelift also known as rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that lifts and tightens the facial tissues to give a more youthful facial appearance.
There are some hottest trends in facelifts that can either be surgical or non-surgical.
Facelifts are ranked as the 6th most popular aesthetic surgery performed.
Why Would One Opt Facelift?
You can consider face lifting when;
- You develop jowls
- Have saggy appearance of your cheeks
- Sagged skin and excess fat in the neck (as most face lifts include a neck lift too).
A facelift thus helps you improve some of the visible indicators of aging, giving a revitalizing effect.
What Are Some Common Misconceptions About Facelift in Pakistan
Facelift is the treatment for wrinkles or sun damaged skin
A face lift is not for the treatment of sun damage, creases around the nose and upper lip, or uneven skin tone.
What Is the Overall Procedure for Facelift Being Adopted By Plastic Surgeon in Pakistan
In this procedure,
- A flap of skin is pulled back on both sides of the face.
- The tissues below the skin are altered surgically to return the lost youthful contour of the face.
- Fat in the face is either removed, sculpted or redistributed – depending on the anatomy of the patient.
- Before taping or stitching to close the wound, excess skin is removed.
What Are My Options?
Incisions depend on the procedure and on the preferences of the patient. Options may include;
- A limited incision
- A traditional facelift incision
- Neck lift incision
How Should I Prepare For The Procedure?
- Stop smoking
- Avoid eating before surgery
- Discuss your expectations with your surgeon
- Discontinue certain medications such as blood thinners, anti-inflammatory pain relievers
Your surgeon may take your;
- Medical history
- Facial examination
- Photographs as medical records
Are There Any Risks Involved?
As with any other surgical procedure, risks are involved but there is nothing to worry about as they are not long lasting. They vanish in a matter of days.
They may include;
- Moderate pain
- Hair loss
What Are The Benefits Of Surgical Facelifts?
- They smooth out the creases and wrinkles.
- Tighten facial muscles.
- Repair loose skin.
- Improve facial contours.
- It is affordable and long lasting.
How long is the recovery process?
This cosmetical procedure has a speedy recovery process. 90% of the patients recover within 7 to 10 days.
How can I boost up the recovery process?
- Take medications as recommended
- Rest with your head elevated
- Avoid using makeup
- Avoid sun exposure
- Abstain from smoking since it delays the healing process
- Avoid extraneous and strenuous activities for at least 4 weeks
- Apply cool packs onto your face to lessen the pain and to mitigate the swelling.
How long the results last?
The surgical facelifts last from 8 to 12 years and make people look 10 years younger than their age. Also, how ardent care do patients take of themselves – determines the longevity of the procedure.
How can I retain the results?
- By protecting the skin from sun exposure.
- Keeping your skin hydrated and well moisturized.
- Maintaining a healthy diet and stable weight.
How long does this surgical procedure take?
It generally takes 2 to 4 hours for this procedure. But it might take longer if other cosmetic procedures are being performed simultaneously.
Will I Have Visible Scars From A Facelift?
A good cosmetic surgeon takes great care to place incision where they are not visible. Moreover, they also keep the incisions hidden behind the ears.
But despite where the incision is given, it tends to fade with time.
Non-Surgical Or Thread Lift At A Glance
It is a minimally invasive procedure for the facelift in which threads having small cones are pressed under the skin via needles.
These cones then grab hold of the skin from under surface, pulling your skin up by tightening the thread.
Those who cannot have surgical procedures because of medical conditions may consider this procedure.
How Long The Results May Last?
The results may last from anywhere between 1 to 3 years. Since the threads are dissolvable, they are absorbed by the tissue underneath your skin.
How The Procedure Is Like?
- After numbing the targeted area, a thin needle is used to insert the threads.
- After the threads are inserted, the method of insertion will be removed.
- You may feel pressure under your skin.
- After that the needles are being taken out and the procedure is complete.
How Long Does This Procedure Take?
It usually takes 30 to 45 minutes for the procedure to get completed.
Are There Any Risks Involved?
It is a low-risk procedure but it does involve minor and temporary risks such as;
How Long Does It Take To Recover?
Recovery time is minimal. You can resume your activities right after the surgery. And can return to work and most normal activity 1 day after the procedure with only minor discomfort that goes away within a week.
What Are The Benefits Of Thread Lifting?
- They are even more cost effective
- No serious pain involved
- The procedure time is short
- Recovery time is minimal
- Fewer risks are involved
- The result is a naturally rejuvenated skin.
Which Is The Best Age To Have A Facelift?
There is no age limit. It all depends on the signs of aging which develop at different rates in different people.
60% of the people who consider facelifts are in their 40’s and 50’s.
Rest of the 40% of the people undergoing this procedure are in their 30’s.